Monday, July 23, 2007

American Welcomes me home

I officially finished my travels yesterday... and what a pain!

My morning started out at 7am at the Itami airport. Which I didn't think would be trouble except I forgot the receipt of my flight information in the hotel! I got bounced by a couple of lines and told.. no no, not here. But then a very nice woman walked me over to the correct desk, explained the situation for me, and I had a copy of the receipt in no time. That allowed me to check in, go through security and still have plenty of time before my 8:30 am flight. That's right, all less than 1 hour.

I had a bit of a lay over in Tokyo, where I spent the last of my coin money, since I can't deposit that in my bank, and left there with no troubles.

Then after a long flight and a couple of movies, I arrived safely in America. Customs was fine, I rechecked my luggage and with the exception of every employee being rude (or apathetic I guess) I had no problems.

Then.... then, we board about 15 minutes late, and about halfway through the boarding people start coming back out. They were kicked off the plane because they had some maintenance thing to check on. So, now we have a bunch of people milling around the gate because we weren't told what was going on, and one of the mangers is getting mad that we're blocking the gate and there are other flights that need to board. We, of course, have no idea what is going on and keeping hearing the mumbled intercom announcing something is boarding.

Cut to about 2 hours later and we finally board. I guess there was some trouble with a door. And they made a couple of announcements along the way that they had to get a part from the hanger (if they had one) and blah blah blah.

Anyways, I landed in Greenville about 1:45 late, and then went to get my luggage. There was no overly dramatic lost luggage story, but I had to wait about 35 minutes for my luggage. Again, no explanations or apologies. So I finished my travels around 8:30pm. That put me at about 12 hours travel + the 13hour time difference. 25 hours! bleh!

Anyhow, Japan was great. Almost without exception we were treated great even though we were such obvious tourists. It was strange to have culture shock when returning home. But there you have it. I'd hate to be a tourist with very little English trying to make it around America. Granted not everywhere is a crowded airport, but still.

Lastly, I came home with a little bit of a sore throat, so I'm trying to take it easy so I don't get too sick. Welcome home!

This is likely the last blog entry so we'll return to more normal forms of communication and work on compiling our Japan photo album.

-A & A

1 comment:

JPZ said...

Welcome Home! We enjoyed the stories and pictures! Jennifer, Alexia and Adrienne